Wednesday, September 3, 2008

When it Rains...

They say when it rains it pours, but in my case when it rains, it floods. Ugh. Let me tell you about the wonderful last few days I've had! (please read that last sentence with a ton of sarcasm) It started with a toilet seat. The seat in the Master bathroom wiggled and couldn't be tightened because the screw was rusted. So Paul bought a new toilet seat which he didn't have time to install before he left for Washington. So I think, "OK, I can get my hands a little messy and change the seat myself." I got it all off but the one rusted screw. I worked for 1/2 an hour on that dumb thing. Finally my father-in-law came over and had to use a hack-saw to get it off. It took him 20 minutes with the thing. But it finally came off and I was able to put the new toilet seat on. That whole thing was an exercise in total frustration.

The second thing happened either that night or the next night, I don't remember exactly, it's all kind of a blur at the moment. We have a security alarm system wired into the house that I set every night. Well, it went off at 2:30 in the morning!!!! I'm here with the girls upstairs sleeping wondering who is trying to break into my house. So I arm myself with a knife (which I was trianed to use in my martial arts class) and checked the entire house from bottom to top 3 times. I started with the bottom cause according to the alarm a basement window had been opened. I was freaking out! My heart was pumping and I was expecting at any moment someone to jump out at me. Well, it took me almost 2 hours to fall back to sleep after that. Needless to say I've slept with several lights on in the house for the last few nights. It turns out that one of the windows downstairs was never latched properly so when it shifted it set the alarm off.

So, I've learned a lesson from that and now every night I go around and check every window and door in the house to make sure it's latched, locked and secure.

Which brings me to my 3rd and hopefully final problem/stress. As I was checking all the windows in the basement I noticed the carpet looked a little dark in one room. When I stepped on it water squished through my toes! At some point a sprinkler head had popped off right next to the window well and when it came on to water the flowers, it dumped all its water down into that window well. Which in turn meant it seeped through the window sill and into the room. I found this out at about midnight last night and worked frantically to try and get the contents out of the room and tried to get the window well pumped out (which didn't work). I finally got to bed around 2:30.

Now, with my luck, Ashley had to be up by 7:00 to get ready for school. Thankfully a very good friend of mine took her to school this morning. As I finished getting my self dressed I heard a knock at the door. Low and behold it was our Elders Quorum President and his wife with a huge shop-vac to suck out all the water! What a huge blessing!! Paul had emailed him last night after I called him bawling my head off. So, they worked down there for an hour and got a lot of water out, rolled back the carpet and got about 1/2 the padding out to the driveway to dry. It's still pretty soaked, but as you can see we've got 4 fans going trying to dry it all out.



They say bad things come in threes, so hopefully I'm done! So, for any of you who read my first couple of posts, I said to poke me if I complain too much and remind me that it could be worse. Well, if anyone pokes me I just might poke you right back! Yes, it still could be worse, but I just had to complain this one time.

Thank you, I'm done now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Christie // lemon squeezy home said...

That sucks sister--I'm sorry all that happened. Really, why does it all happen at once huh? I think a few things crappy happened while Dillon was in Reno, and it was just that much more stress added onto the already building stress:). Hang in there--I won't poke you!:)

September 3, 2008 at 4:16 PM  
Blogger Williamson Fam said...

Oh wow, that is allot of crappy stuff, it can only get better right..I'm sorry let me know when you need a play date...

September 25, 2008 at 10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home